Friday, April 1, 2011

I don't think I have anything to say

Today was boring. Morning was cold, that cold that turns your hands red and makes them hurt (mainly because I was too optimistic or maybe stupid to wear gloves) and everything was wet. I don't even think I ever saw it rain but everything was damp when I went to work (before the sun rose) and everything was damp when I went home.

I read quite a bit more of Life in the Cul-de-Sac by Kuroi. An interesting examination of the lives of about four households and the problems they contain. I like it but I have to admit that some of the characters are really weird. One woman insists on moving into a shed on the corner of her family's property because her husband's parents will be coming to live with them. The parents are old and not very mobile and they'll build their own cottage but she acts like a child throwing a temper tantrum. Some of the motivations and actions don't make much sense to me and I can't tell if it's because the book is from another culture or if it would be weird in its home country as well. I'm still enjoying it though. The writing is good and the character studies are fun even if I do sometimes find them a bit odd.

Almost done with The Winter Queen by Akunin as well. This has been a fun book. Many twists and turns, intrigue and plots, good characters and it doesn't succumb to the temptation to become too serious and full of itself. Light reading and a new series to look forward to.

I am tired. On nights before I have to wake up early for work I wake up several times. It's as if my brain is not fully convinced that the alarm clock will do the trick. I woke up 3-4 times in a seven hour period last night. Well, hopefully I'll get a full night of uninterrupted sleep tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment