Monday, May 16, 2011

I wish my appliances would stop nagging me


Library is almost done, furnishing-wise. Now I just need a computer with the scanner hooked up and I'll be set to get everything into some sort of working order. Oh, and some way of fixing the labels to the spines. I'll use scotch tape if I have to but there must be some better clear tape. The desk is big and dark and the chair is black leather. It all looks so shiny and important. One of the drawers even locks. I can have a locked desk drawer, how cool is that? I know, my standards are pretty low. Of course, I'm still getting used to the idea that I can decide when I'll eat lunch. I can use the restroom when I want without calling someone to break me and I can go home without being relieved from my post. I'm no longer constantly on camera. I find I don't know how to behave in such an unstructured setting.

Henry Miller amused me today in a way that may or may not have been intentional. His avatar character self-insert talks about how he lost his job. He has no home and roams about cultivating people he can attach himself to so he can leech money and food off of them. One of them gives him a wad of cash and while for a while he resolves to find a place to live, he instead starts blowing it on food and whores. The last woman, he steals the money back while she's out of the room. Next chapter he's talking about a friend who has invited Henry to live with him for a bit. Only this friend Fillmore has trouble with a woman he picked up, Jackie, who won't leave. As Henry says about Fillmore, "He had a genius for attracting homeless bitches." Yes, apparently he does. Fillmore gives him pin money each morning and leaves him to his writing. Henry feels pressured to put out (pages, of course) and muses that it would be easier if he were a woman because then he could "slip [Fillmore] a piece of ass." He only thinks this, of course, because he knows it will never be expected. Much easier to brag that you'd totally do something many people think is unpleasant or demeaning when you know that it will never be an option for you. Still, if he were serious he could still totally "slip him a piece of ass." Maybe the reason it hasn't happened is because Fillmore knows Henry wouldn't be worth it.
I think it's hilarious that some people see this character as a portrait of a nihilist, a free spirit doing only what pleases him, damn the constraints of bourgeois society, living without pretension and what I see is a nebbish little man with the impulse control of a five year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment