Friday, August 12, 2011

And done; Video tutorial attempts

I've finished The White Lioness. Everything I predicted came true, only the assignation almost wasn't thwarted because of an obnoxious combination of bad luck and incompetence. Seriously, if Wallander was as good at his job as he's supposed to be, half the things that went wrong could have been prevented. Starting with keeping the rest of his colleagues in the loop and following up on important reports to make sure they were received and understood. For all my bitching about it I will read another book by Henning Mankell. I mean, obviously he's a good writer, capable of putting together a plot and creating half-decent characters, it's just that this particular book suffered from age. Or something. These events would have been much more exciting to think about at the time they were written, when Apartheid was being dismantled and the black majority had a chance to have real participation in their country's governance. Twenty years later and the book's ending message of hope is more melancholy considering the AIDS epidemic, the failure of the economy to take off and the rising rate of crime. For a look back at what was this book has it's place, even if the man who wrote it was Swedish and not South African.

I'm attempting to create my first video tutorial at work. I don't have a microphone yet or a quiet place to record so captions are going to have to do for this first one. This is just a test to see if I can use the software.

No comments:

Post a Comment