Tuesday, March 8, 2011

It's entirely possible that at some point I will write a short story


Callipygian: "Of, pertaining to, or having well-shaped or finely developed buttocks." From the OED.
You can't hear it but I'm snickering. There's a word for everything, isn't there.

Wedding was wonderful. Myself, my sister, and two of the other bridesmaids went to get our hair done in the morning and then had sushi for lunch. We lugged our stuff to the bridal room in the parish house and spent the next while getting ready and having our pictures taken. I laced my sister into her dress and she looked just gorgeous. The wedding ceremony was meaningful and sweet and the reception afterwards was full of good food and fun dancing. Several of us went to the hotel a few of the guests were staying at for another drink after everything was cleaned up. I had a grasshopper; one part creme de menthe, one part creme de cacao, one part half and half. A couple at the far end of the bar tried to get into a fight. There was a shoving match and the woman tried to slap the man but she was pretty plastered and just ending up smooshing her hand in his face. The bartenders broke them up fast and sent them on their way. But not before they were reminded to pay their tab.
The next day we had a brunch for out of town guests to say thanks and bye. We were all well-pleased with how smoothly everything went.

I finished Let the Right One in. I think, on the whole, I liked the book. It could sorely have used some editing, I really think Tommy's part could have been cut out somehow, but the ending was good and the characters were interesting. This is the sort of book you read while half-cringing though because you know that bad things are coming. But I'd read another book by this author.

I finished The Way Through Doors today. A circular story and most definitely not for everyone, it has a dream-like quality to it where things only make sense in a nonsensical sort of way. I occasionally like to read books that don't entirely make sense as long as it's on purpose. There is a common thread throughout the book; Selah Morse is looking for a woman with amnesia. He was taking care of her and now she's lost. One story bleeds into the next and comes back to Selah and then looks at an earlier story from another point of view and so on. It's wandering. I liked it.

Now I'm reading Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind. I don't know how I feel about this one. It tells the story of Jean-Baptise Grenouille who was born in 18th century France and has an incredibly powerful sense of smell but is completely without any odor himself. So far it's recounted his life from birth through apprenticeship to adulthood. He has killed one person thus far but it has had little relevance to the story. I'm on page 153 and I keep waiting for that early murderous experience to have some impact on his life. I assume he'll kill again but so far it's been an exercise in writing a fictitious (magical-realism) biography. There is very little dialogue. Well...it's entertaining. I'll finish it and I'd even read something else by this author but I'm a little disappointed. I expected something a little more Jack the Ripper only with perfume than the roving of someone with an amazing olfactory apparatus.

No comments:

Post a Comment