Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Words go here

This photo proves my grandmother has been making the same "don't take my picture" face her whole life.

Phillumenist: A collector of matchbox labels or matchbook covers.
I...really? There's a word for that? Of course there is, what am I thinking? What else do you have for me OED?
Crabologist: A student of collector of Crabs.
Conchologist: A scientific collector of shells.
Oologist: A collector of birds' eggs.
U'lero: A collector of rubber.
Wikipedia offers - Arenophile: One who collects sand samples.
Galantophile: A collector of snowdrops. (The plant. which makes so much more sense than I first thought.)
Pteridomania: A craze for ferns. A Victorian era thing because that sexual frustration had to go into something, I guess.
Tyrosemiophilia: A collector of cheese labels. ?!?...? Sure.

Still reading Let the Right One in. It's kind of slow but I still can't put it down. Half of it is devoted to the whole vampire plot and the rest of it is domestic and school relations. Actually a lot of it about personal connections. Between lovers, parents and children, classmates, friends. There's a lot of focus on each character's particular situation. Lots of character building is what I'm saying. It's interesting watching how everyone deals with the subtle and not so subtle effects of the vampire living in their neighborhood. And this really is more of an old-school vampire as I mentioned before. A child vampire, creepy, sweet, gross, and awkward. Who falls on people from the shadows and plays wounded to get at prey.

I'm also reading Life in the Cul-de-Sac by Senji Kuroi. About a small street in a Japanese suburb and the people who live there. I like how he shows what the characters imagine and how it contrasts with what is actually there. We all do that, we all imagine how something is going to be or how we think something will look and then sort of surprise ourselves with how it actually is. It's a clever writing technique.

Anyway. Rehearsal dinner Friday. Wedding is on Saturday. Got a few small things to do first. Don't think I'll have much time after tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment