Thursday, December 22, 2011

Blah and more blah

I'm reading Michael Dibden's Vendetta and so far I am a little under awed. My parents really like his books so I thought I'd give him a try. This is an early Aurelio Zen book and it feels like he's more interested in showing off his knowledge of Italy than writing a story. It's good, no doubt, I just wish there was more happening and less description. The cover blurb promises me that the ending will shock the unshockable reader but I remain doubtful. I'll try more of his books later because supposedly there's more about Zen and his life in them. I don't know if it's a cultural thing or what but the way my bosses write emails really ticks me off. They're so formal, like what you'd write to someone you barely know rather than to a coworker. They also come off as very patronizing/critical. It's the language they use. Maybe I'm too sensitive, I don't know. Also their lack of understanding of the Internet depresses and baffles me. I wrote a Wikipedia page back in November as part of our marketing campaign. This was discussed in committee for over a month; I read the text out loud to get feedback and then I posted it, trying very carefully to keep it neutral in tone. I put a few pictures up as well. Another member of the marketing committee sent an all staff email out informing everyone it was up. I heard nothing about it. About a week ago we all got an email about new rules concerning the dissemination of information and pictures on the web and how they have to be approved by the director first. Fine, I understand that's fairly normal. Yesterday I get a formally worded email about how it is so nice that I want to help with things's but the info has to be reviewed first and my Wikipedia page was jumping the gun. "Your well-intentioned move" my ass. That rule didn't exist when it was written. There was no objection for over a month. Then he wants me to take the Wikipedia page down. I told him I would try but didn't expect much luck. I know the formal writing I'd partially his training from elsewhere and might be to have something on record for obscure reasons but it doesn't do any good by the fact that I feel like I'm criticized more often than anything else. Hell, I'd take no praise over getting some fucking supplies and resources. Finally the second shipment of books is coming in. In short, don't criticize your employees for breaking rules before they have been written. I, at least, am not psychic.

No comments:

Post a Comment