Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Faculty meeting tonight! Wooo!

I am so excited! A 2 1/2 hour faculty meeting at 6:00pm so we can prove to the accreditation committee that we have faculty meetings! I bet this will be just as awesome as the 2 1/2 hour staff meeting we had last Thursday, though unfortunately I had to leave at the two hour mark to go close the library. :( I'm sure no students actually needed anything in the hours I wasn't there. At least this meeting will be after I technically finish work so I'll be all free! They damn well better feed us.

Seriously, last week's staff meeting consisted of people talking about the progress their departments have made toward accreditation. Most of us had very little to say; Our director of education wasn't there and our director was in a meeting. Once the director joined us one of our newest members, the registrar, decided to hijack the meeting to complain about all the things she doesn't understand and how she hasn't been able to get the director of education to sit down with her to explain them. She held us hostage for close to an hour whining about little things most of us had no interest in and which none of us could solve.

Then our director declared that all the shared files (registration forms, time sheets, leave requests, etc.) on out intranet were out of date because they had the old logo on them and they should be deleted right now and turned to the computer to do so amid panicked shouts that we needed to copy them onto our hard drives first. "They're pdf files so that means word copies are on people's computers somewhere. We just need to find them." Yeah but couldn't we wait to find them before deleting things? "I'll print copies out." Some of the files were created by people who no longer work here. "Oh, they didn't really create anything, I'm sure there's a copy on someone's computer." Oy vey ist mir.

I haven't been able to get a second book order. I email and email but the director keeps saying she'll get to it later and my subtle "is there anyone else you would like me to send this to?" has been met with silence. (As happens with most of my emails.) I've managed to bring the matter to the attention of a few other people; here's hoping that works. (They knew I needed books but they thought the director was taking care of it.

I've also somehow been put in charge of fire safety. We needed a fire inspection of the building and the director asked me to set one up. Okay, fine, so I try to go through the proper channels, leaving a message at the correct number so we could have an appointment scheduled for the fire marshal to come out. That wasn't fast enough for her. "There's a fire station across the road. Why don't you go ask there?" I pointed out that they didn't have fire marshals there but that wasn't a good enough excuse and off I tromped through the drizzle (closing the library) and on the knock on the fire house door. The guy there was nice and, amazingly, got things set up. I got a phone call the next day and the next Tuesday I led the fire marshal around the school.

One of the things we needed was a fire evacuation plan. And wouldn't you know it but that got assigned to me as well. (In addition to creating floor plans of our buildings.) Since she wants to "check these things off [her] list" that means I get an end of the day deadline. Something several people would do over a couple of months she assigns to the librarian to do in three hours. Which, as my dad pointed out, is kind of funny.

Epic Stapler!
Oh, yes, have I mentioned that I'm proctoring exams now?

No comments:

Post a Comment